View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #22
mishman

Default sandy bottom has changed over time

I have noticed the same thing as Garcia. We live on a windy point with lots of wave action. I have observed the sandy bottom for more than 35 years and it has changed to a more mucky bottom outside of the area where swimmers feet break it up. The muck settles on rocks and sand and seems to get thicker with passing years. I don't know if any scientist has water temperature records dating back a few decades but it appears that the water temp in our area has been 80 degrees or higher on more days over the last few years (and most especially this year). I wish people with lawns would respect the lake more and not allow the use of any fertilizer (and if you must fertilize use only the type with no phosphorus (that's the middle number in the fertilizer label). The Lake Winnipesaukee Association is doing great work and deserves everyone's support. The towns along the lake need to step up enforcement on excessive treat cutting and the NHDES should devote more resources to enforcement action. Our lake will only stay clean and clear if we take action. Doing nothing will result in a Tragedy of the Commons situation (look it up). Join LWA at winnipesaukee.org.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote