View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #24
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
In my opinion, for most recreational boaters, auto heading is a waste of money and a highly risky tool. If you are considering a similar system, spend the money and get a true autopilot system with both gyro and GPS (or even better, multiple GPS) input.
I concur with your definitions, but disagree on your opinion to not use an autopilot to hold a heading only. It works great and when combined with regular navigation is not risky at all. Having to modify a heading to maintain a course gives one a greater understanding of what's actually happening with currents, tides, winds etc. It also keeps the mariner engaged with the process of navigation and piloting.

On Lake Erie, Long Island Sound and Buzzards Bay, I could set a heading for a destination 30-80 miles away and never touch the auto-pilot the whole way there. On the NH coast, if I set a heading for a port 10 miles away (like Islaes of Shoals from Hampton River), I'll probably makes at least 5 heading adjustments on the way there, excluding adjustments for lobster traps (I generally just adjust 10 degrees one way and 10 degrees the other way a few seconds later to avoid them). The currents generated by the 8-11 foot tides we regularly see are really strong, even miles out.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: