View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,521 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
This sounds like a good idea, but it's not what you are supposed to do and can make matters worse. The stand-on vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed unless it cannot safely do so. When I am operating the give-way vessel, I am counting on the the stand-on captain to maintain course and speed and I will adjust my course and/or speed to avoid a collision course. If the stand-on captain does the same thing, they can easily put us back on a collision course. .
I think we've had this discussion before. I understand your point. My point is that in many cases a small alteration in course will totally avoid the stand on/give way situation ever arising. For example, I am in the give way position with another vessel coming across my course. If I change my course (yes, I'm really giving way) I will pass behind the privileged vessel and nobody approaches where there is any situation that needs further definition. I think most of the discussions here relate to smaller, faster boats who are not planning ahead, or as in the OP, a misunderstanding of the rules.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote