View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
Hi Mr. (Ms.?) Mswlogo,
I was wondering what prompted you to install a solenoid valve on your main water line vs installing a 2-pole relay on the electric supply to your pump VFD?
I would think a relay would be less expensive & much easier to install; with similar results.
Thankyou for your time & effort,
J
I considered it.

I had the valve from my previous house. The shutoff on the previous house was after the water treatment system which could back wash (it was based on gallons and/or time). I may end up with something similar in the end. The current filters are temporary, but they are working pretty good now so who knows. House is supposed to be torn down in Feb if all goes well.

The water pump controller is not a simple pressure valve with a storage tank type setup. It's a Continuous Pressure system and goes through a lot of calibration motions when it comes up. So I'm not sure it would be great to be turning that off and on. The well also has a self drain setup. So if there is a small leak it would drain the pipes all the way back to the water table (which is a long ways from the house). I only close the valve to prevent a flood in the house (broken toilet or water heater). The controller can also sense if the well is being over drawn and shut itself down.

Also you do not want an "active coil" type relay for something that is normally on. You'd want some sort of BiStable relay (doesn't change state when it loses power (in either state), it stays where you left it when power is restored).

The valve is a breeze to install, 20 minutes tops, two hose clamps.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: