View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #21
bilproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoBoat View Post
Hi bil

I have a question on some of the numbers I have seen on the forum, and on some town documents. Disclosure - we are island property owners and will be joining the association.

I have seen the number of 1.9M for the contribution of island residents to the budget. What percentage of the Meredith budget does that represent? I think I saw 15.3M for proposed 2018 budget but am not sure that is correct.

Also - what percentage of households do the islands represent in the overall number of households in Meredith?
Based on property assessments for 2016 assessments and a tax rate of 15.59/thousand the 29 unbridged islands paid a total of 1,905,220. in taxes that year. Of that 618,434 went directly to the town of Meredith, 826,103 went to the local schools directly and 460,883 went to the state and county (some of the state money comes back to Meredith and the local schools thru state aid and grants). Of the 1.9 million, Bear Island was responsible for 1.2 million of that money. The budget was slightly smaller in 2016 but I believe it was just under 4.8% of the budget. The percentage changes when you look at the budget as a percentage of total taxes. Total of the budget raised from property tax was about 8 million so the island taxes get to almost 8%. There are about 335 properties with an I designation. I have no idea how many total accessed parcels there are in the whole town. The whole budget on the revenue side is confusing. Sewer and water taxes and expenses are included in the budget.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote