View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Fish'n John

Default New TM connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
In any case we're just a little bit away from knowing what to do with the charger and now I want to understand what happened when you disconnected the charger and wired up the TM to the batts for 24V operation. That looks to have be correctly done. The TM worked (and I assume well) until the plug melted. So that seems like a bad plug or very lossy connections at the plug. Plugs have current ratings, do you know what this one was rated for ? In any case it's time for a new plug and socket. Get ones rated for the proper current (60A) and when the charger issues are settled, I think you'll be good to go.
Yes, The trolling motor ran well when I direct wired it at 24V. When the plug melted, I got nervous and backed off. I fixed the plug with spares I had from the original installation but I rewired everything through the charger and yelled for help. Now I see that the charger is a problem.

Just this morning I was looking through my West Marine catalog and I noticed that these connectors have ratings of 12v or 24v and designated wire sizes of #8 or #10. At this point I have to assume that I had 12v connectors and #10 wire size. Connections may also have been a little dirty. I just ordered two new TM connectors from West Marine at 24v and #8wire. Anyway, I will switch out these connectors when they arrive and I think I should be good to go. I should be able to wire the TM direct with the existing #8 wires and 60A fuses. I will also pull the battery charger and have a look inside and see if it is salvageable. If not, I should be able to replace it with a new and more conventional unit.

I really appreciate your help in all this. I'll let you know how I make out.
Fish'n John is offline   Reply With Quote