View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish'n John View Post
OK. I have finally digested your drawing and comments on how the system should work. I agree and now understand why I registered 12v at both the 24v output lugs on charger and at the batteries after turning the ignition switch to the accessory position. The 0V readings with power off must mean some malfunction in the charger and I am preparing my mind to remove the charger from the boat for a look inside. It takes time to get my aging body into a position to remove this from the very back of a small engine compartment. Meantime I'll try to attach some drawings from my manuals. If it works, I'll attach others.
Excellent, it worked ! I briefly glanced at the attachments and it appears my simple diagram had/has the Aux1 and Aux2 connections correct. That is, the Aux2+ should be at +24V when trolling. So my prior troubleshooting measurements should tell us what's good and what's bad in the charger. I am curious as to what indicator lights are available and what they mean. It could be that "sense" line lights up an indicator light to tell you that 24V is available. It seems "odd" to me they would use a seperate wire given they already have on going to that battery post. Minor mystery I s'pose.

In any case we're just a little bit away from knowing what to do with the charger and now I want to understand what happened when you disconnected the charger and wired up the TM to the batts for 24V operation. That looks to have be correctly done. The TM worked (and I assume well) until the plug melted. So that seems like a bad plug or very lossy connections at the plug. Plugs have current ratings, do you know what this one was rated for ? In any case it's time for a new plug and socket. Get ones rated for the proper current (60A) and when the charger issues are settled, I think you'll be good to go.