View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Question Some questions for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish'n John View Post
I have a '98 Glastron "Fish and Ski". It has a 24V Min Kota 64lb trolling motor operated through a Dual Phase II on-board battery charger/bat. system interlink (not made any more). I imagine that this is a set-up like found on some Bass Boats. I can only get 12v output to the motor which is only useful if there is no wind. I have tried wiring it direct to 24v but I end up blowing fuses. I am at my wits end trying to figure out if the problem is in the charger, the trolling motor or the connections. I have tried Fays Boat Yard, who seem like good local experts, and they were little help on this issue. I have tried online to find a nearby shop that works on Bass Boats without success.

Does anyone have an idea where to turn for help?
I'm no expert either but perhaps I can help. When you say you can only get 12V to the motor, when is this happening ? I mean what are the connections between the batteries, the motor and the charger ? When you say you wired it direct what were the connections then and what fuses were blown ? What I'm wondering is IF you have to manually remove a jumper/connection between the 2 batteries when charging (so as to have only 12V) and replace it when trolling (so as to get 24V). I tried searching the WWW for info on your unit but didn't have much luck. About all I could find is that the parent company for your charger is thought to be GoldenEye (see last post there and if this sounds familar for wiring). Still ... how hard can it be ?

Note the warning on the diagram below. Perhaps your outputs are not isolated and the wire between the batt 2 + and the batt 1 - needs to be disconnected when charging. Then again perhaps it's just the connections that are not proper. See if the diagram makes sense to you and comment how close your system is to it.