View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yup, agreed! As long as the state does not give them the green light (law) to perform unwarranted stops, I’m OK with it. I have been stopped a couple times by Marine Patrol over the years (and rightfully so) and they have always been professional and courteous....and so was I. Mutual respect goes a long way...Dan
Obviously, we see these made up stops on TV too often. I had this same conversation with Safety Services Director Dave Barrett some years ago. Especially with new officers, logs were scrutinized and discussed. Too many stops for PFD checks or whatever were an occasion for a ride along and/or additional coaching. Word from Commissioner Flynn was always that MP was to promote safety, enforce the law and do everything reasonable to enhance the boating/tourist experience. I've had interaction with many MP over the years (mostly research/administrative) and I find them all to be professional. Professionals don't need to make stuff up, nor do they want their reputation questioned. They need that reputation to stand up when they do have to go to court.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote