View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #141
tntm_71we

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Thanks FLL. Read the paragraph I pasted in and you can understand what is wrong with government. Make a decision Mr Bald, one way or the other. It is your job to start or stop the process you describe.

Bald stressed that the process for handling such requests is prolonged and complex. First, he, as the commissioner, must approve the proposal, which must subsequently be endorsed by the Council on Resources and Development, composed of the heads of 13 state agencies, and the Long Range Capital Planning and Utilization Committee of the Legislature. He indicated that public meetings would likely be held at each step of the process. Finally, the proposal would require a vote of the Governor and Executive Council.

Bald said that he did not expect to making a decision on the proposal in the near future.
Hello Vitabene,

Commissioner Bald is, in fact, a fair distance away from making a decision on this project. Please let there be no understanding, however, about one very important matter. The LWSA and I have sought and received the approval of DRED's staff people at the Parks and Recreation Division of DRED for every single step we have taken thus far on this project. We have moved forward together DRED's staff with the full knowledge that there is a long and arduous approval process ahead of us with an outcome that is by no means certain.

We are aware of every step of the approval process referred to by Commisioner Bald in your post and there are other approvals that are outside of his direct areas of responsibility that we will need to obtain as well. We will need a green light from the Department of Environmental Services (DES) for our waterfront development and to tie into the Winnipesaukee Sewer Interceptor. We must go through Gilford's entire approval process that will include its Planning Board and its Board of Selectmen. We will need to formally meet with the Gunstock Area Commission and the Belknap County Commissioners. And, we will need an approval from the Federal Bureau of Outdoor Land Management since Federal funds were used to create Ellacoya.

Please be aware that we have met informally with all of these groups, commissions, boards and agencies already, other than the Feds, to introduce our project and to get an idea of what things they all might like to see us do or not do going forward. We have been given either green or flashing yellow lights from all of these entities and where the lights have been yellow, we have learned what their concerns are and we have made or are in the process of making modifications to our plans that we feel will turn the one or two yellow lights to green when we next go before them for a final review or approval.

This process is not new to me. While the process might seem daunting to some, I deal with the need to obtain town, state and at times, Federal agency approvals day in and day out. I am patient and I generally get the approvals my projects need because I don't cut corners and I painstakingly research the criteria needed to get approvals before presenting final plans. I either include what has been requested up front by the parties reviewing the plans or I provide a logical reason for deviating from what has been suggested and I present viable options for those deviations. I am fully aware that we may be at this for several years, but I am confident we have made the right decision in choosing the Ellacoya site.

We will make good and compatible neighbors for Lake Shore Park and for the folks that have been enjoying RV'ing at Ellacoya for many years. We will add to the offering that is Lake Shore Park and Ellacoya in ways that the residents and RV'ers can't begin to appreciate until we are in place and functioning. We will respect the fact they have been there before us and we will run our operation in a manner that will defer to the fact they have been on the block a lot longer than we have and that we need to cognizant of this reality.

There will need to be some level of adaptation to our presence, but it won't alter the enjoyment of Ellacoya and I believe we will enhance the Ellacoya experience in meaningful and measureable ways that won't become totally clear until our facility is in place and functioning. Once this happens, Lake Shore Park and the RV'ers will be singing our praises and they'll be our best customers.

I'm available to meet with folks one on one or in a group to discuss our program. I have met with folks at Lake Shore Park a number of times and while we haven't solved every issue on their minds, I feel we're making progress. I hope they agree!

Regards,

Tom Mullen
tntm_71we is offline   Reply With Quote