View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #112
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
while I believe that the sailing program is an asset to all who take advantage of it,I must admit I am a bit concerned as once you allow private concerns on public land it becomes very difficult to undue.While funds are needed from donations to keep the sailing program alive and growing I still haven't seen why a pavilion is needed. I would love to see my daughter learn to sail if she chooses I would donate for the opportunity,so I guess I'm missing the need for a new structure. If participants are either pay as you go or donating for the program is there really a need to add another burden such as building maintenance to the equation? JMHO,but I think maybe it deserves a look,and by the way if you haven't guessed I think the sailing program is a benefit to the region.
I share the concern, the "rules" are not very clear. Here is a link to a bit of the history and "rules" for use of State parks. This link in specific to pavilions, but the entire site is worth a read.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/...pavilions.aspx

NH has a strong history of the use of "public lands" for various activities. The whole website is educational. Hunters, campers, hikers, fishing , ski machine etc.. That's a good thing if and only if the people that use the public lands stick to the guidelines and rules of use.

The folks at the sailing club seem to me to have made a good case for approval of the sailing center. As a next door neighbor at LSP, I am concerned that the pavilion could be misused if the rules for it's use where not carefully crafted. That part of their proposal would needs to be watched very carefully.

JMHO