View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #19
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Red face Robert S. Fogg

RG has referenced Bob Fogg in her 10/14 post above (post #9). When I mentioned to her that I had some of his photos, she sent along some history. I'm going to put the history (from Three Centuries on Winni) along with these photos (and the photos I posted above in this thread) from "Remember When..." - A Bi-Centennial Project of the Wolfeboro Chamber of Commerce - 1976.

"Winnipesaukee was the first lake to have rural free delivery via the air, a service being inaugurated between Weirs and several points on the lake by Robert S. Fogg in 1925. An old “flying boat” with a “pusher” propeller was used on those first flights.

The coming of the airplane brought a hitherto unknown method of exploring the depths of the lake. At an altitude of 1,800 or 2,000 feet above the water the shoals can be plainly seen, and when conditions are of refraction of light are right, even greater depths are disclosed. A few seasons ago I was flying from Weirs to Ames Farm with Captain Robert S. Fogg. It was a warm, calm August afternoon with scarcely a ripple on the lake and no “bumps” in the air. In passing over Glendale we noticed that the angle of the afternoon sun permitted us to see far into the water, and there before us was the dim outline of the “Lady’s” hull; indistinct, but doubtless an actuality, for the location was perfect and the hull outline was unmistakable. Since that time Captain Fogg and various of his associates have looked for the hull when passing over that spot, but on only one occasion in a four-year period were conditions again favorable enough to see the hull against the darker color of the water."

Aerial View of Old Mt. Washington taken by Robert S. Fogg from his plane.

Bob Fogg was an innovator.

Bottom photo from "New Hampshire's First Tourists in the Lakes and Mountains" Edited by Charles Stuart Lane - 1992
Link to Citizen Article

Last edited by mcdude; 02-28-2005 at 09:22 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote