View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #84
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Property tax should be eliminated and a head tax be instituted. People over 18 years old would pay the tax. Take the levy, divide it by the number of residents and that is your bill. For part time residents, cut the levy in half per person. Everyone would have the same amount of skin in the game and spending foolishness would stop.
It’s unrealistic to expect the elimination of the property tax, BUT it’s unfair, in my opinion. I think that non-resident taxpayers should have some say in the local government since they’re paying a substantial amount of the expenses, and the locals capitalize on that when they’re making demands (gym, rec center, bus for rec dept., etc.). Our primary residence is here, although we are not here for almost half the year, but we don’t expect to have our taxes cut by half. Being here or not is a personal choice, and should not result in a 50% tax cut ( I would not turn it down, however! ��) Also, if you want to reduce non-resident taxes, why not apply that to part-time residents who own MA property on Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard? After all, let’s be fair!

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 09-29-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling and additional comments
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote