View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #19
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I hate to be negative, but really, how could one possibly come up with an objective on the water test for a boater? There are too many variables in boats, wind, and wave conditions to make it possible to accurately measure true competence.

IMO, incompetent boating is not really a big problem in need of a solution, it tends to fix itself either through attrition or experience gained by bad judgement. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, the bad boaters get weeded out. There are always new ones to take their place, but that's just the way it will always be.

FWIW, if you only boat on Winnipesaukee, you likely have no idea just how good you have it. The boating experience on the lake is truly fantastic compared to most other places. I spent Saturday night at a dock by the Memorial Bridge in Portsmouth and witnessed countless safe passage violations in direct view of the omnipresent coast guard and often-present NHMP. Boats were routinely passing my docked boat, fully on-plane, within 25 feet. That's just the way it often is off Winni... I was prepared for it with 6 lines and 5 fenders; my boat was unscathed.
You should (and probably have) watch some of the YouTubes on some of the Florida ports like Haulover for instance...the way they operate down there, it’s a wonder people aren’t killed on a daily basis. Crazy.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote