View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's hard for me to see malice in what the guy did. Incompetence? Yes. But installing something he knew wouldn't fix the problem doesn't make sense to me, as it would just create an unhappy customer.

OP: do you get the sense that this guy just wasn't right/incompetent or do you feel that he intentionally took advantage of you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I would be willing to bet that if this marina is a new boat dealer, they probably didn't even want to take this boat in because of it's age. A lot of "Dealer's" are like that. They just want to work on new(er) stuff. It's the same with cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc,etc, they can't be bothered with "old stuff". So they probably approached this boat with an "I don't give a s###" attitude" and got lazy in diagnosing it, and just started throwing parts at it. The OP paid dearly for a "tune up" that did nothing to help the problem. The problem started when the marina told the OP that they checked his gas tank with a camera and found nothing. Whatever the marina did to that boat AFTER missing the crap in the gas tank is the marina's problem. We will never know if the mechanic didn't even bother to check the gas tank and just told the OP that he did, or if he really did check the gas tank and found nothing because of "attitude", (or just an honest mistake), is something we will never know. However, either way, it's the marina's fault for missing the proper diagnosis, and, at the very least, should have apologized, and refunded any monies paid for whatever was done after the camera in the gas tank found nothing. So since the marina refused to own their mistake, make no apologies, refund no money, after the OP has already paid dearly for parts the marina just threw at the boat in the first place, that the boat didn't even need, I say to the marina go pound sand!! And my advice to the OP would be to bring the boat to a "independent" boat repair facility that works on any model and year boat, and that would appreciate his business. The hell with the dealer(s), unless it's under warranty... If this marina isn't a new boat dealer, then obviously, they are incompetent, and you need to find a better independent shop. Either way, I still say: NAME THE PLACE!! Also, FWIW, one of the biggest myth's out there is that the "Dealer" has the "best" mechanics, so you will get the "best" service from a "dealer". I know first hand that is a bunch of BS!! The only guarantee you get from a dealer, is that you are going to pay the highest labor rate possible. Most independent shops are mechanics that worked for a dealer at one time or another and have just as much knowledge as any mechanic at a dealer, (if not more), but have lower labor rates.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote