View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
Skip

Thumbs up Thanks for your contributions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
I agree with Rose. There are a lot of new buzz words coming out, and many of them make unusual situations seem like end-of-the-world situations. There is a difference. "Unusual" means your grandfather might have seen it as a boy but maybe not since.

I see a logical explanation for it: In the last few years, TV and print media have been going down the tubes. We studied the trend when I was in UNH Journalism school in 2004, and it's more apparent now. There are many reasons for the media going down the tubes -- too many to mention without getting off-topic. The result is that they're pulling out all the stops to retain viewers so they can stay alive.

The average news-watcher's attention span shortened on 9/11. For the first time in the age of modern media, there was such a flood of information, and such a demand for the very latest, that when the event's information flow started to slow down a few days later, the viewers had already become addicted to the high-speed-info-feed. There was demand, and so suppliers stepped forward.

Now we in the weather and climate field have to deal with the public's increased jumpiness. Remember when we had the terror alert color level constantly flashing on the news screen? They don't display it anymore, probably because it didn't change enough to keep people interested. But they still feed everyone's craving for that sort of thing.

Thus, we have, and will continue to have, things like "Super La Nina," which I have never heard of, either. I learn new things every day, so when I see things like this I try to dig a little and see if I might be enlightened. But after Rose said she hadn't heard of Super La Nina, I didn't bother digging.

For the record, there IS a La Nina happening this year. It is affecting the weather. And it will affect reporters, too.
So very well said.

I find myself completely turned off by the "over-the-top" hyperbole spun by so many TV meteorologists/personalities that I pay little attention to their weather forecasts anymore. Instead I read interesting and well thought out posts like your's and Rose's, and search out many alternative web based blogs and sites.

I sincerely thank you for the time you put into this site, and your ability to explain complex weather patterns and trends in layman's terms.

I look forward to your prognostication throughout this upcoming winter season!

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post: