Thread: Move it or Not?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
We bought our camp 3 years ago and thought we knew where our property lines were. The neighbor had their septic redone and thus had it surveyed. they found out that the property lines were not where everyone thought they were and they shifted diagonally. Our camp (which is only 12-ft by 20-ft) is now 10-feet onto the opposite neighbors property (east side). Luckily for us, the east side neighbor is just vacant land, for now.

So the issue up for debate is do we move the structure so it is compliant (it would need to be moved 20-feet west) or do we get a lot line adjustment with the neighbor? I'm weary about going the adjustment direction because if they ever decide to build then our structure would only be 10-feet away from their structure (potentially). This is of course assuming the neighbor was okay with even granting the lot line adjustment in the first place.
Obviously going the other direction would require us to move the building, which can be done, but is not ideal either.

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be great. Thanks
While some others have freely commented here, I don't think thus far you have given enough detail to full understand what you are dealing with.

The first thing I would ask would be with the recent survey, what did they use as a initial reference point, to start the survey?

Once that is understood, I would then look back at the history of your property and understand a few things such as:
1. Did your plot, and its surrounding plots all come from the same large plot that was sub-divided once upon a time. Or are you looking at a situation where two or more larger plots where sub-divded and you are in the boundary area.
2. When did your structure come into existence, and for tax purposes, become part of your property tax? This will establish that your structure did truly belong to your property.
3. When question two is understood, you can also look into the property tax bill for the adjacent property and makes sure you building was never considered part of that property previously.

I am sure I can come up with more. But property lines are mysterious things... and things like this come up. You may find that the survayer didn't start with a valid reference point, and thus, your current survey results are not valid...

There is a lot to research here. And if you current neighbor is not complaining, I would take the time to do the research, before jumping to any rash decisions. Running out and getting lawyers involved two quickly is going to cost you money in the long run... so see what you can get accomplished up front yourself, unless someone is already causing trouble for you.