View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
Skip

Thumbs up ATT&T FirstNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I was told AT&T has the state and federal contract to expand LTE coverage for first responders communications. They spent millions of our money on new locations throughout NH. I was told by an LEO that they are not there yet as they are testing out coverage.
My guess is to hold out on any switching services until AT&T is finished. Verizon has competition as to coverage. Care to comment?
You are correct. It is part of a nationwide initiative financed by the federal government known as "FirstNet". AT&T/FirstNet are two years in to a five year buildout in NH. The most significant and early increase in coverage is in Coos County, where many new towers are being built.

Likewise AT&T is building additional towers, or leveraging existing towers, throughout the rest of the State.

While the goal is to provide near seamless coverage throughout the State for first responders using voice & data, the contract allows AT&T to "sell off" excess capacity to the general public. When completed I believe it will easily equal or surpass Verizon's current coverage and offer many new benefits as well.

I use both networks and find that AT&T is quickly catching up in what was previously Verizon only coverage, and is actually filling in areas (Coos in particular) that never had coverage....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote