Thread: Boat cleaning
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

To get that scum and stain off the bottom of the boat after it sits in the water for an extended period of time (ring around the toilet look) what you want to use is oxalic acid. Now a bunch of these cleaning products mentioned are sold in a pre-mix bottle and ready to use. For the same money you can buy this stuff in a 20 oz jar in crystalized concentrated form for about 20 bucks capable of making 6 gallons of treatment. Simply mix it with hot water in a spray bottle and away you go. Far cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/MaryKate-Crys.../dp/B0000AXQCX

I've got a jar that has lasted me about 6 years now. I use about a gallon of it to clean the bottom of my boat at the end of the season. Stuff is amazing takes the stain right off returning the hull to it's original color. Just make sure you're not downwind of this stuff as it is not something you want to get on you or breathe in. Fine on your trailer so long as it is not allowed to sit very long. I usually wet my trailer down ahead of the acid wash.

I use 303 on my interior vinyl, it's expensive but like no other.

Wax for the hull I use 3M stuff can't remember what it is off the top of my head but it's marine grade polish and wax. Expensive yes but the results are far different than any automotive type wax even though they are all usually some form of carnauba.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote