View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #26
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I own a Tesla, and am mostly without a garage. The cost of electricity per mile is about half the cost I was paying for gasoline. Also, my car heats up faster than a gas car, and I can turn the heat on from my phone app in advance.
Which model do you have? Doesn't matter that much but...

Cars comparable to Model 3 are getting like 38 mpg, and hybrid's are getting 50 mpg and only add $5K-$10k up front.

Let's run a few numbers to depress me

Some EV's use miles per Kilowatt Hour for their "MPG" gauge.
Teslas use "Watt Hours Per Mile" or Wh / mi for short.

Model 3 AWD EPA is about 250 wh / mi (warm weather, full regen, NO HVAC)
Model X EPA is about 300 wh / mi (warm weather, full regen, NO HVAC)

Winter is worse because of lower regenerative braking and auxiliary heating.

My Model X averaging 320 Wh/mi (1 year), that's VERY good BTW.
Charging is ~92% efficient.
So let's divide that 320 wh / mi by 0.92 = 347 Wh/mi
Or 0.347 kWh/mi
That's what it cost (in kilowatt hours) from the house electric meter to go 1 mile.

Now multiple that by $0.26 kWh (MA rate) that is 9 cents a mile.

Now let's compare my 2017 Jeep GC which got about 26 mpg (it was rated 24 mpg) $2.25 per gallon of gas / 26 mpg = 8.5 cents per mile.

Note: I want to say that Solar is NOT free.
A good rule of thumb is approx $0.08 / kWh (amortizing cost to install over 20 years)
Now EV is WAY cheaper. And I get free supercharging (which I effectively pre paid for in the Vehicle price).
Some part of the country only pay $0.08 / kWh !!!

Let's do the Model 3

I was getting around 250 wh / mi (close to EPA rating year round, better than EPA in summer)
250 / 0.92 = 0.271 kWh / mi
Most people I know do worse than EPA, I drive with a very light foot.

Let's use NH Electric Rates of $0.17 / kWh

That's 4.6 cents per mile.

I like to compare something like an Audi A4 MPG that gets 31 mpg (highway) that comes to 7 cents per mile. There are other nice sedans in high 30's.

It would have to be 3.5 cents to pay half, in NH. Still not bad.
It comes out to about 7 cents a mile if you use MA electricity cost of $0.26 / kWh

City (IN THE SUMMER) will definitely favor EV quite a bit more.

Even coming CLOSE to ICE efficiency is a fantastic achievement. And it will continue to get better and better. They have already added 50 miles range to my car and it's a little over a year old for the same size battery.

And the savings in Oil changes and brakes is in the noise. I maybe spend $60.00 a year on oil changes. Pads wear slower but the brakes still maintenance on Tesla, partly from lack of use.

Don't get me wrong that there is a huge list of pluses having an EV or a Tesla EV.

Leave your car running in garage, who cares, don't forget to turn it OFF though !!
Leave your dogs in the car while you go for dinner in the summer, no problem.
Full tank every morning I rarely stop at a supercharger, I might if I'm hungry. Love the Hooksett Rest Areas.
Acceleration with barely anyone noticing (except passengers).
The Autopilot (Which is coming along on other brands) is really nice, I absolutely HATE driving anything else now.
Tesla track record on crash tests in their respective category.
Navigation screen is a dream, I use it for almost every destination.
I do like how it updates like an iPhone. I LOVE the beep when the light turns green. No more, honey can you watch the light while I find the music I want.
Model X has driving experience that's hard to explain and you have to drive one to understand.
Handling, because of the battery low Center of Gravity they all handle way better than top heavy ICE Vehicles. Which in of itself makes the car much safer.
And yeah, the integration of phone is really nice. Other car companies can't touch it (yet). One thing I miss from Model 3 is "Phone as Key".
Model 3 heated faster than Model X. But Model X is still very fast compared to ICE. They have switched to Heat pump in 3/Y which is slower.

I am curious when a boat will be worth it.
Quick torque to pop on skies
Low noise would be pretty cool.
No more gasoline vapors to worry about
No Carbon monoxide poisoning that could kill you (and has) would be a real plus too.
Not to mention all the other nasty fumes while idling.
No oil changes, which is a real pain on a boat.
No winterizing !! Most likely, might still use lake water to cool. Bottom of boat could be a battery heat sink.
High speed charging things can get HOT !!
You forget all the compromises we've been programmed to just deal with.

But all that water and high voltages doesn't feel so good.

Last edited by mswlogo; 01-25-2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Edited my numbers and used year round average which so happens to be EPA rating.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: