View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #26
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've yet to hear a pellet stove quiet enough to make me want it in my living space. Add the routine maintenance and repairs, and I'd never own one.

My wood stoves will last most of my life with close to zero maintenance. Cleanup is every few weeks for ten minutes, and it's silent, usable in power outages, pretty, and smells nice.

The differences come in work to prepare, and cost of, fuel. The day I have to buy wood consistently (I've had to buy one $50 truckload in the last 15 years) is the day I trade my wood stove in for a gas/propane fireplace.

That being said, in response to the OP, I've heard great things about Harmon, and my brother had great luck with his Quadra-Fire. The latter makes some real nice looking higher-end models, too (as opposed to the black boxes).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I felt the same way until I ended up with a Quadra-fire pellet stove - I love it. When I built my house I wanted a wood stove in the family room, but the high ceiling prevented it; I didn't like the way the pipe would have run. The pellet stove is vented horizontally and then vertically which allows it to be hidden. The noise is minimal and simply gets lost in the normal sounds of my house. I love being able to turn it on anytime, get the warmth and ambience of a fire, and have it turn itself off. I also have a Woodstock soapstone wood stove at the other end of my house, which I also love. The two complement each other - best of both worlds.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post: