Thread: Bike Week
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #95
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I’ve been looking but can’t find any data to back up your claim. 30% of all traumatic brain injuries are caused buy auto accidents & 14% of the auto deaths of 14 - 25 year olds are caused by traumatic brain injury. Nothing about auto deaths caused tbi. Can you direct me to your info source?

I’m willing to bet that a much much higher % of motorcycle deaths are caused by tbi then auto deaths. Bottom line is I have a far better survivability in a car being hit by a car then on a bike being hit by a car. Mass & physics.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
My source of information was the American Automobile Association. I received a letter (spam mail) from them about 8 or so years ago stating this fact. I believe it had something to do with airbags but don't remember completely. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant, the fact is helmets do in fact save lives!

The question was a loaded one and the answer is "comfort". We don't wear helmets when driving an automobile because they are uncomfortable, they are hot, they get in the way, whatever you want to call it and 99% of our law makers and the general public allow comfort to supersede safety when it suits them. I find it rather hypocritical when these same lawmakers and public supporters try to force their safety mandates on motorcyclists.

In 2017 there were more than 40,000 automobile deaths in the USA, if even 10% could be stopped by wearing a helmet (i'm sure many more would be the real number) when driving that would be just about equal to all the motorcycle deaths that occurred in 2017 with or without a helmet. So if way more lives can be saved by wearing a helmet in an automobile, why don't we??

As an fyi, I personally do wear a helmet (most of the time) when riding my motorcycle but I want to be the one who chooses when and where...

Thanks!

Dan