Thread: Bike Week
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #42
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Ironically, the end of Bike Week would probably make investment in the Weirs more attractive. Real estate money generally looks for gentrification opportunities, like Meredith or Times Square.

While there are many things about Bike Week that are really cool, hundreds of loud bikes with a lingering whiff of bikers' bad boy history fall somewhere between irritating and intimidating for many non bikers. This is the opposite direction of where cash typically flows.
Here is the thing, if a complex was built with some building etc. like I suggested... Things like the craft fairs etc. could all take place there, instead of tent cities down in Meredith at the parking lot of inns falls and other places. A multi-use facility doesn't have to be huge... it just has to be, and it will get used....But government needs to make it attactive for people to make the investment.

The Weirs has stayed stuck in time not because of the persona of bike week. But rather because the business have limited time to make their money. The owner don't want to make huge investments, when they don't see their profits increasing... When government gives tax incentives, Like agreeing not to raise property Taxes for X number of years, after a major investment, it makes an investor think about improving the property, and be able to improve business revenue, and having breathing room to make that happen before getting a more expensive tax bill.... It would take a convention facility a couple of years to build up events, and generate a positive cash flow after making the initial investment...

People have a stigma about bikers that is routed in a time gone by. They need to let it go... Yes there are some bad apples... but you can say that about boaters, hikers, etc....

If I had the money, I would love to by one of the larger pieces of land and develop it... It would be a risk worth taking... but only if the Town and State agreed to not riase taxes until I could get the building in place and start generate some positive income.....