Thread: Bike Week
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #33
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Be him a Staty or a Sherriff, I still be he is in better shape then most people realize...

I have said it again and again, its really not the vendors and the same merchandise that are the problem. The event has spread out over the state, there are people that never even come down to the Wiers.... The problem is one of having nice facilities. Putting together a nice set of warehouse buildings in one of the fields that is use for vendors, would help tremendously so that people can get out of the sun or rain and vendors will not be trying to cram everything in under neath temporary shelters... Not to mention these buildings could have other uses attracting more events to the area. Then top that off with a nice permanent stage that could be used for performances, and you would have a top notch facility right at the Weirs... The problem is there is no incentive for the land owners do develop the property.... The term I have often used, is for a convention center to be developed... with open area, some buildings and a stage... Car shows, bike week, boat shows, etc etc could all benefit from such an undertaking... but I don't think the city of Laconia wants that, or at least they are not willing to provide incentives to make an investor want to develop the land.... If I was an investor and had a sizable piece of land that sold out for bike week, and that paid my taxes plus put a few thousand dollars every year in my pocket... I wouldn't be looking to do more either, unless the State or City made it worth my while......

Bottom line the City and State need to make it worth while for investors to develop the weirs back into an area that people want to be... and event organizers want to flock too... until that happens, the Weirs, and bike week will continue to decline.
Absolutely correct. Why build something when you are making more money for a few weeks a year on vacant land. Worry about long term maintenance and lease renewals, etc. Also I am sure many vendors for Bike Week and the Car Shows pay in cash and the income goes unreported.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote