Thread: Bike Week
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
in the 60'. The bikers were "heathens" needing to be controlled by the National Guard. A car or two got turned upside down. Cops got to practice baton swings.

Then, as the bikers got older, they got money. The event became a viable part of the New Hampshire economic plan. The crowd I interacted with on Tuesday was very friendly, courteous and they bought a lot of pizza and hot dogs. A very large "burly" biker accidentally bumped into me and he couldn't have been more apologetic.

I heard the Pres. of Harley Davidson, on a radio show, commenting/lamenting on the fact that younger people are not getting into biking so much and their client base is fading, and thusly, so is Laconia Motorcycle Week's attendance.
Motorized entertainment including racing, off roading and general car culture is fading and has been. Motorcycles cost as much as a car now and the days of fixing up some old junker are about over. Kids don't know or care about working on engines and even if they did the electronics make it way harder.

Add to that the fact they everyone has their nose glued to their phone so meeting and talking to real people face to face is a lost art as well. Standing around and discussing some guys fully restored Indian or Yamaha with a Harley engine and kawasaki rear wheel is just not a thing any more.

Too bad but times change
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote