Thread: Wolfeboro Inn
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #21
Nadia

Default Rose

Rose,
I can completely comprehend your feelings during this situation. I don't want to say I don't like kids, that's not true. More so I'm not used to kids. I don't have any children yet and I was raised an only child. My tolerance for children tends to be a bit lower. Although I run into just as many wonderful, well behaved children. The problem with situations like this is, it's certainly not your fault, it's not the resteraunts fault, and it's not the kids fault either. It's the parents fault.

When I visit a high end establishment I ask the hostess to be seated away from children and babies, most of the time I opt for the lounge or bar area. I'll take a smoke filled lounge over a screaming kid any day, but that's just me.

If I were you I would have let the server know I was unhappy with the disruption, and asked to be moved. It wouldn't hurt to tell the manager either in a polite way. The only problem is, like I said, it's really the fault of the parents. The best way I think, is to make a suggestion to the actual owner or manager to implement a policy like Nadia's and Canoe both have in regards to young children in certain areas of the resteraunt. I believe Canoe has a certain dining room that is 13+. One half of our establishment is "adults only", including the bar area as well. Let the owner know this is something you'd like to see in the future. I know there are people who strongly disagree with me, but in a higher end establishment where guests are spending considerable amounts of time and money, they should be able to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing meal.

Generally most places are big enough that they should have ample space to put between you and the disruptive table. If not then I think it's definately the responsibility of the owner or manager to ask the adults to keep the children seated and as quiet as possible. Other than that, like I said, it's really the parents fault. I was never allowed to run around any resteraunt. The things I see people doing even in my own dining room blows my mind. There are times when we've had to step in and ask parents and/or children to please keep their children seated, to not draw on the specials board, to not pull the curtains down, and even once, to stop spitting spit balls. In all honesty I watched a woman sit there and watch her two sons spit spitballs back and forth at eachother until a staff member asked them to please refrain from doing so. Absolutely disgusting. If I ever spit a spitball at my parents table...

On the same token I think sometimes it's unfair for parents to bring young children in higher end establishments and expect them to sit still. Kids generally don't like the food, don't want to sit still, and get frustrated and cranky. Upsetting the experience for those at the table, and even those seated around them at times. I think it's totally unfair to the kids, not to mention having them wait for tables and food in busy resteraunts. Basically, I think the responsibility really rests with the parents. The only thing you can do is suggest to the owner what I mentioned above, and certainly voice your complaints for a case in point.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote