Thread: Shep Brown's
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #52
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
I've never seen such an area at Gilford. My observation is those things happen in the parking lot or when the boat owner gets to their destination. Meredith Select Board is discussing this at 430 today at the community center on RT3.
You're right., Launch ramps and parking lots were mostly built before we were worried about milfoil, zebra mussels and contaminated bilge water. The Public Water Access Advisory Board (PWAAB) from Fish and Game is looking at these
issues. Here's an issue: You have an automatic bilge pump. When the boat goes up the ramp, water flows to the pump and it starts dumping bilge water into the lake or on the ramp where it picks up oil, etc. Some bilge water is always going into the lake, but no reason to be excessive. Years ago when NH started mandating holding tanks (60's), there were some in the legislature who wanted bilge pumps to pump into holding tanks. Now THERE's a plan. As a kid in those days, I didn't know much about legislation, but I knew stupid right away, and it has always stuck in my mind.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote