View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #39
Major

Default WOW Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
From the same article, third paragraph:

Police Chief Matt Canfield , who jogs on the public trail a few times a week, says it is a safe place to walk, run and ride and wants to counter any perceptions to the contrary.

"There might be a perception of crime or danger on the WOW Trail, but it's really non-existent", he said. It's no more dangerous than walking anywhere else on any of the streets."

This precedes the sentence about putting out portable cameras and the sentence about ambassadors.

By the way, the article was about to new bikes for the department to use on patrol, not just for the WOW Trail but also in the Weirs and other areas of the city.

Dave
My point exactly. I realize the present Chief, in the previous sentence, was extolling the safeness of the WOW Trail. However, if it is so safe, and the perception is wrong, and crime and danger are non-existent, then why place cameras or employ "ambassadors." You would think that none of these added safety measures are necessary. I highly doubt that they are being implemented solely to address the incorrect perception.

And just because the Chief says it, doesn't make it true. There is a lot of pressure to support the WOW trail. Also, when he says crime or danger is non-existent, do you believe him? The police log for Laconia is published in the Laconia Daily Sun about twice a week. Downtown Laconia doesn't appear to be too safe or free from crime to me. I think he's diminishing the crime issues in downtown Laconia. They appear to be significant.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote