View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
Last year, the deer and the bears had no food. There was a very small acorn and beech nut crop last year. The deer were skinny and the youngs bears couldn't build up enough fat to hibernate. This year, you can almost roller skate on all of the acorns in the woods. They don't need to move for food and they don't need to eat your shrubs. As an avid hunter that spent over 100 hours in the woods this year, the deer are out there. Both the deer and the bear are fat this year. Very healthy and ready to go into winter.
So . . . does that mean I do or do not not have to protect my trees this winter?

Winter 2018/19 was the first time in 25 years that I had such extensive damage to trees and shrubs. I've never had to cover them before.

I'm a bit confused about the years you refer to. In summer 2018 my property was overrun by squirrels and I attempted (unsuccessfully) to relocate them. That was also the year that the media were reporting thousands of squirrels killed on the roads. In summer 2019 there were almost no squirrels. Wouldn't that mean there were fewer acorns in 2019?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote