View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Snowmobile and Winter Ice Safety

Out of respect for David Fifield, the Moultonborough man who died the other day while snowmobiling on Winnipesaukee in Moultonborough, I have started a separate thread to start a discourse on snowmobiling safety on the lake. None of my comments address this situation- we will not know what happened for quite some time definitively and I won't speculate.

I will preface this by saying that I am by no means an expert and am interested in everyone's opinions. As an aside I heard on WBZ that there were 4 snowmobile deaths in ME this weekend.

What can be done to prevent these tragedies?

Here are my thoughts:
1) Do NOT drink and ride. No need to elaborate here but I need to comment. I enjoy my beer and wine in greater quantities than my doctor likes, but know that the lake is no place to operate a boat or snowmobile when intoxicated. You have to set limits on yourself. I will at time have a beer and maybe two if it a long lunch with a lot of food but I can wait until I am back at the house.

2) Stay off the ice if you have not checked it out thoroughly- watch the ice fishermen- they usually know. For God's sake don't ride at night on the lake unless you know that area like the back of your hand.

3) Stay on your side of the trail. We spend a fair amount of time on the trail and I am amazed that there are not more head on collisions.

4) Don't snowmobile alone at night- the woods can be a lonely place.

5) Be prepared- Do you have emergency food and water supplies' first aid kit, blanket (I usually do not have this and should when doing a long day)?

I am sure many can add their two cents and I welcome it!

John
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote