Thread: Drone Question
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
Skip

Thumbs up Some more drone considerations....

Like Winnisquammer, I have a significant amount of time flying my DJI Mavic Pro over a lot of different parts of the seacoast and the lakes region. I primarily fly to take pictures, some video and just for the fun of it.

Couple of quick notes: You DO NOT currently need to register a recreational drone. The FAA had originally required registrations, but rescinded that when challenged on the legality of their requirement. You can still "voluntarily" register your drone with the FAA for $5.00, which I did.

The regulations you need to abide by in NH are FAA regulations pertaining to drone operation. NH has failed twice to pass statewide laws on drones. Across the country there are some states and localities that have passed drone regulations, but many are being challenged as their is a debate as to who has control of the skies (FAA versus localities).

As a "beginner" I went with a new DJI product as it could be switched from a training mode to professional mode via software. As suggested above, I would look for a used DJI device in the 3 to 500 range. If your son is really serious about learning to fly one, nothing can be more disappointing than buying a toy grade device.

With all that said, here are some basic rules:

Do not fly at night (without an FAA waiver) aka 1/2 after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise.

If you have an Apple or Android device have him download any number of free apps that immediately identify the airspace you are in, what restrictions are in place and usually phone numbers of nearby towers that need notification.

Do not fly above 400' (or 400' above a stationary object.

Keep the device in sight at all times. If flying over other properties try to keep the device as high (under 400) as possible to mitigate privacy concerns. Once I'm above 150' most people aren't even aware of the drone's presence. Keep it moving, don't linger over someone else's property unless asked by the property owner!

Want to take the plunge and get a professional (above $1000+) model that will last for years, be easy to train on and can has multiple camera, flight and safety features? Call your local agent or I recommend State Farm. They insured my whole package including loss and personal or property damage to others with no deductible at a minimal $75 annually! I highly suggest that anyone flying a drone off their own property get insured....

Finally, your son should consider obtaining an FAA part 107 license. I am scheduled to take my test later this month. While not currently required to fly recreationally, it is a great learning tool to study and pass this exam. Virtually all study materials are free and available online (Google "drone license" or "FAA Part 107 License").

You will read much misinformation on-line about what you can and can't do with a drone. By simply studying for this license your son will quickly learn the facts, and be a much safer (and educated) pilot!

Good luck...it would be a great gift that I'm sure would give him many years of enjoyment!

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote