Thread: Drone Question
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Phantom

Lakemamma - to answer the original questions:

- I am sure for some the initial rush will fade but for others it doesn't seem to. This (as mentioned above) depends I guess on what the primary purpose for use is -- I, like Winnisquamer, like it for the photography/ video -- with a drone you are talking about perspectives that, short of a helicopter ride, can never be captured.

As far as durable, good quality units, as t a reasonable price -- try the DJI Phantom 3 (no pun intended). I believe package sets with spare battery (essential), case, etc are now in the $700 range via Amazon. There are higher & lower grades of DJI as well and I am sure others will chime in with other brand names also.

Yes you need a "license" but in my humble opinion that is simply the government getting their piece of the action. It is a very simple $5 transaction that you do by mail or online ( instructions typically are in the box)--- you will get a small "certificate" and you are suppose to place the numbers assigned on your drone ( I used a Brother P-Touch).

As far as flying near airports -- you are (required) to notify the Airport Manager prior to flight within 5 miles as others say -- if you are on winni, this is not such a big deal as there is an App (called AirMap) which can be used to electronically file with some airports -- KLCI (Laconia) is one of them. I did have some initial issues with the App communicating with Laconia, but after a trip to the airport and some fiddling with App setting got it squared away.

Regarding other aiports, my son also has a drone and lives & fly's within the Hanscom 5 mile zone. He calls over each time - notifies - and has never been turned down.

Flying etiquette: This is a whole different issue and one that gives Drone owners the "black eye" --- as with boating, there is always a couple of Bone-heads that wreck it for majority. Simple rules are -- Fly SMART ! - don't "buzz" crowds, - don't be a "Peeping Tom" - use common courtesy !

Feel free to message me if you need more