View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #105
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
Originally Posted by sa meredith
Do you folks actually travel at 35/40(pre-speed limit) under the cover of darkness...and is it truly safe?
Maybe my experience level is not what it should be, which is why it seems excessive.

IN response to the saftey of night boating.... Yes you can safely navigate at night at speed. We have a very accurate GPS and radar that we use anytime we boat. One night we come to a dead stop when the radar showed a "target" that we cound not see with our eyes. We shined the search light and saw a flock of ducks (not wearing the correct bathing caps). We have a double check process before we bring the boat up to speed. One will keep a visual watch and the other will watch the equipment. With the right state of mind and focus you can definitely navagate safely at speed in the dark. I would not trust this approach during fog or rain. You need to be proficient with the equipment to understand the limitations. I would not trust only one set of eyes.

Personal perspective: Our boat travels well at 28 MPH and hits 45 at WOT. This is going to be our 10 th season on the lake. We have not come in contact with rocks nor come close to an incident. We ahve traveled the lake many nights in all conditions. In spite of the many spectacular stories or accidents described in this great forum we enjoy all the diverse machinery fast or slow that navigate the lake. There is still enough lake to find crouds or seclusion. I don't get wigged out when a "rookie" buzzes closer than 150 feet as long as I see they are in control of their boat. Attitude seems to be the greatest restriction to the enjoyment the area offers. We are not rich nor are we poor. We find the weekends on the Lake to be the best "investment" in mental health that we can control and will continue until some other group of self serving ill-informed polititions take away personal choice and freedom.
I'm thrilled to hear your such an accomplished mariner and enjoy the lake as much as I, but, I think you'll find the majority of the boats on the lake do not have radar, we don't all operate large boats.

As an avid fisherman who spends countless hours fishing on the lake, I can assure you, that there is no loss of morons that will buzz you, WOT, within casting distance between boats.

One morning, just outside Wolfeboro Bay, at about 8 AM , we had a caravan of 6-7 cigarette boats pass within 100' of us trolling 200-300 yards off shore.

There was absolutely no reason those boats had to be within 400 yards of us , as we were not even close to the boating lane.

Those operators had absolutely no respect for anyone and I believe did it on purpose , I only wished the MP could of witnessed this spectacle.

While maybe you could care less about what I do, why shouldn't I be able to safely enjoy the lake, as well as everyone else.

While I do not condemn all boaters on the lake, there are a number that shouldn't come back and hopefully they won't , they won't be a loss or missed, they ruin it for all.

Unfortunately, this law is undoubtabley in response to many complaints from boaters and non boaters, in regards to at least a small number of jerks.

I don't believe for one second, that this law will destroy business around the lake, the destuction of the National Economy will be the culprit.
Sponsored Links