Thread: Kayak fees
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Hillcountry

I think some kind of sticker for kayakers, canoes,SUPS etc., for $5 or so wouldn’t break anyone’s bank and would help the state coffers as long as the funds went directly to oversee NH lakes and waterways enforcement.
At times, kayaks and the like might pose a danger to boaters by being where they’re not expected to be (middle of the lake)
The issue of these water “vehicles” owners jamming up parking lots which were created for boaters is real. Why not make them pay a fee as well?
They are vehicles designed for moving around on a body of water, the same as a boat. I have also seen fishing kayaks with electric motors for propulsion.
Not sure if these require any registrations but they should as they use a parking space at a lot and cruise the lakes.
No way am I in favor of more govt. but people that use state resources for free should be paying a share. I also believe hike safe cards should be mandatory.
One time on a visit to Ragged Is. the beach on the west side was jammed with kayaks from the camp across the way on Sandy Is. The campers beached their kayaks on a spot that is designed for everyone’s use and left them there while cavorting elsewhere on the island. My family and I had to leave the beach because there was nowhere to enjoy it without tripping over the kayaks.
I called the camp on Sandy island and spoke to a very gracious, “director” about the kayaks and she agreed that the campers should not have blocked access to the resource with their boats. She said this was wrong and assured that the councilors would be told not to do this on their forays on the lake.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 09-05-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post: