Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #191
ApS

Default Problem-Boaters with Problem Boats VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
"...I was at last year's hearing and their "right to go fast" was their main argument. They also repeated refused to believe that the safety concerns voiced by other boaters were legitimate..."
I got the same sense with the following Quality-of-Life issues when these were before the Legislature recently:
1) The right to smoke cigars in restaurants
2) The right to skim a snowmobile
3) The right to refuse seat belts
4) The right to refuse PFDs for their children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
"...Maybe that's why NONE have ever been hit in daylight in NH..."
Not killed, but a male kayaker was run over, suffered "broken bones" and was evacuated by air via DART4 to Dartmouth-Mary Hitchcock Hospital from Lake Winnipesaukee. I posted it at the old forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...is it your contention that experience here in NH doesn't inform us enough about what happens in NH to allow a reasonable decision...?"
Then why is New Jersey experience going unchallenged in this thread?

To whit:

1) "...Down here the coast guard or marine police catch you in a channel or boatway in a kayak you get a ticket for unsafe operation of a vessel..."

2) "...Kayaker"s are often in places that they should not be. We see it all the time on Barnegat bay here in New Jersey..."

3) I've seen the inlet deal you mentioned also. Kinda like riding a bike on an interstate..."

Smith Mountain Lake was a double for Lake Winnipesaukee for a movie—yet their double-fatality is challenged as "not on Winnipesaukee".

(Yet Maine's Long Lake double-fatality was, what, forty miles away?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
"...If one can spot spars (a necessary skill on this lake), a kayak is a piece of cake to spot..."
You'd think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
"...Further, I would guess most power boaters, seeing a collection of sailboats would give them a very wide berth..."
You'd think...

(Had Evenstar been in the photo, she'd have been in that lone sailboat—center foreground).