Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #182
ApS

Default Problem-Boaters with Problem Boats IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
"...It has been my experience that anyone who is paying attention and is traveling at a reasonable speed seems to be able to spot us pretty easily..."
Sometimes, "pretty easily" isn't attention-enough:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
"...I spend most of the summer on the lake and only occasionally see a boat going over 45 mph..."
Hey...something I can agree with!

However, one violator that I reported to the MPs was going somewhere between double and triple that number. The [strike] captain [/strike] driver turned out to be a VERY wealthy Tuftonboro neighbor.

Another [strike] captain[/strike] driver makes gas trips two/three times a day and goes past me at about 60-MPH.

He's really easy to spot because he always trails his stern docking line—and leaves his boarding ladder down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
"...analogy on the interstate..."
...is irrelevent: everybody on Interstates is going in the same direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
"...Someone will want to see how fast they can go down the broads..."
With the ocean only an hour away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
"...After all, this is a family oriented Forum..."
You're not being treated "like family"?

Quote:
"...So, besides soil yourself, what exactly do you plan to do in 1.8 seconds to save your life, that is...?"
As one who has had to paddle from a speedboat myself, that seems like enough time to leave about half a kayak behind, say, in Moultonboro's moonlit waters.

Quote:
2 miles x 1 mile = 2 sq miles
(2 miles + 1 + 1) x (1 mile + 1 + 1) = 12 sq miles
What happened to the other 60 sq miles of the Lake?
Not good enough for you? Great! Then there is no need for a speed limit on the 60 sq miles of the Lake that you prefer not to use.
First, consider the Lake's static and dynamic environment:

Static:
Red-pencil the Graveyard, the Witches, Middle Ground Shoals, all other shoal waters: add No-Wake-Zones, a 150' border around all mainland shorelines, a 150' border around all 253 islands, and the lake shrinks—a lot.

Dynamic:
Subtract each speeder's Acres/Second coefficient and "Safe Passage" margins, and there's not much left of the lake to enable reckless speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
"...Yeah... I hate speed...!"
Include me: my avocation for 24 years is in-car racecar driving instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...Having seen plenty of overweight "go-fast, bolster boys" climb out of their well-padded and very expensive go-fasts...it's obvious that lots of you guys could benefit from the physical exercise of paddling a kayak. Maybe you want to give a kayak a try..."
"Bolster Boys"? Sounds better than "Cowboys".

For real physical exercise, try breaking the night speed limit with one of these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
"...Sea kayaks are designed for large bodies of water, and most sea kayakers have no trouble handling fairly large waves...my sea kayak can handle conditions that would be too rough for many small powerboats..."
Even recreational kayaks can handle conditions too rough for speedboats: