View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #59
Poor Richard

Winter update because never say die!

So it took a while but the trailer was eventually sorted out. What it took to get there is nothing short of amazing.

Upon removing suspension bits and the axles, I quickly discovered that installing new bushings was going to be a chore since ShoreLand'r used (what appeared to be) bronze bushings way back when. Instead of dealing with pressing then having to make up for the OD of the bushing, I sourced a drill bit set with the specific size I needed in order to open up the existing bushings...11/16" (Pics 1 and 2)

The really unfortunate thing will all this is discovering that one of the greaseable bolts welded itself to the bushing but also broke off the shackle it was attached to (Pic 3). This essentially meant that it was a miracle the suspension didn't unwind itself at some point on the road.

I broke out my oxy/ ace torches and proceeded to get exactly nowhere for 2 days. Up to this point I had 100% success rate of hardware removal with the torches and this bolt marks the first time I could not get hardware to budge.

In another stroke of luck, the way in which the bolt broke off the original shackle, I noticed there was already a known center point due to the fact the bolt is drilled down the center for the purpose of greasing. So I started drilling and oiling. Rinse and repeat while I put my new Ryobi drill to the test. In Pic 4 you can see the result. After drilling perfectly down the center of the bolt, I broke out the torches once again and brought my friend the pipe wrench into the mix. Success at last! And I was ready to install all my new hardware and springs.......sort of.

The off-the-shelf springs that I purchased on recommendation ended up being too long for the existing spring perches. The folks at Donovan did their best to get me a shackle setup that would compensate for this however, the shackles did not work as intended and they ended up sitting flat against the trailer frame once everything was on the ground.

Donovan asked for me to bring the springs in so they could shorten them. Of course, that meant I was dropping both axles once again.

Once all that was addressed, everything went back together as expected and a road trip was finally in order!

I am happy to report the trailer was stone silent during the trip and the action in the suspension appeared to be perfectly fine.

Next order of business will be sorting out and cleaning up the engine followed by servicing the transom assy and outdrive.

I'm really starting to get excited now!
Attached Images

Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote