View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

You can get as suggested stuff that is dehydrated and lasts for 30 years but I'd argue who the heck wants to eat that stuff.. if you've ever had a mil spec MRE... yuck can't be much better. It's expensive though. Yes Riley's does keep a wide selection of dooms day stuff in the lower level there.

Or you can do what I did, build some shelves in your basement and buy in bulk when stuff is on sale, pretty soon you got a nice supply of food that you use and when it starts getting low buy more. Instead of buying a can or two at a time we buy cases at a time. Even better add a chest freezer and can do the same thing. Just keep rotating it out and you have a constant supply that is as big as you want it to be. Nice thing in the spring when it's time to stock the camp instead of going to the grocery store I hit the basement and stock the pantry.

If you go the route of a freezer, wise idea to get a vacuum sealer - we buy tons of meat on sale and freeze it, and load up on dirt cheap post holiday turkeys and hams.... never mind a deer usually ends up in there after a successful hunting season!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote