Thread: Sloooow season:
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Yes things are slow this year

Indeed things are slow on the lake this year. My theory is that there are many causes that have brought this about.

1-- The cost of gas... I don't care who you talk to the cost of gas is eating at everyone's wallet. Because of that there are fewer trailer boaters making a trip just for the day. Additionally folks are spending all day on the water boating from port to port they are more likely to go somewhere and anchor for the afternoon.

2-- Because of the economy the lakes region is out of the price range when it comes to spending a weeks vacation. Through the prosperity of the 90s rents for vacation rentals skyrocketed. Unfortunately they really have come back down. Thus people look for places where their income can be wisely spent on less expensive accommodations... Hence Lake Sebago is busier, and so probably is Lake Champlain.

3-- Also economy and gas priced based. People are tending to stick closer to home, making smaller less lengthy trips.

The bottom line is the lake is slower, I don't believe any of it is tied, to speed limits or the lack of public access. The bottom line is an afternoon on the water, has become cost prohibitive, as a day trip for an afternoon of fun. And the cost of staying in the lakes region is also cost prohibitive, when there are spots just as nice that are less expensive.

Every area has its hay day, for Winnipesaukee it was the 90s and early 2000s the hey day is over.... it will settle down for a while... It doesn't mean it is never going to boom again, we are just in a lul....

A final thought here, is people in my mind are more likely to vacation in an area, where they feel, as though they might eventually be able to afford a piece of the heaven that they are enjoying. The lakes region has become unaffordable for most people as a spot to own a second home.

Anyways just some thoughts and observations.... my own personal opinion, nothing more nothing less...