View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to put a quick request out there for general advice on a new boat purchase. We are at Samoset, moored right on the broads, and I owned a 17.5' foot Bayliner bowrider about 10 years ago. I loved it and only sold it when I had some changes in my life that dramatically cut down time for the boat and funds. Of course, I also remember some rough rides in and out of Samoset since I used it mostly on weekends and it got pushed around a little bit here and there.

I am eager to get back on the boat during the summers and headed to the boat show this week hoping I might find the right deal. Before getting the "advice" from any salesman, though, I thought I would get some advice on here.

First, recognizing that 17.5 feet does not quite equal comfort on the broads, what do you recommend as the minimum length? I have searched through the forum and seen a range of suggestions here. Also, what other measurements or features (beam, weight, etc) would you suggest I look at?

Second, any advice on the ideal boat style or even company would be appreciated. Mostly I used it for fishing and just cruising with the family around the lake. I recall someone telling me a deckboat may be a better choice than a bowrider. I got the Bayliner years back because it was affordable, but I also see on here it does not seem highly recommended? Cheap build? Open to other suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for the advice and suggestions. If I do find the right deal I will be sure to follow up on here!
Hi Sea Dog: what is your budget? I probably would look in the used market as there are lots of deals when someone decides to get out of boating. The fall is the best time to buy. Good luck!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: