View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #57
Nadia

Talking The Letter I promised

Here is the letter I promised to post from a person who had been reading this thread and wanted to be heard yet remain anonymous. I am posting this with permission from the author. I did not edit any content but did edit the font for easier reading - Nadia

I wanted to briefly clarify some things I have been reading in this thread. First of all the clinic I attend is owned by the same company that is opening the Laconia clinic. I am a 28 year old resident of Laconia. I work two jobs and have no children. I live in an apartment by myself and do not collect any type of welfare or use state insurance. I pay cash for my treatment. I have been getting treatment for close to nine months now. The clinic does not advertise. There are people walking in and out constantly but other then that you would never know what the place is. Patients are clearly told not to linger in the parking lot as it may be cause for discharge. There are two staff members continuously monitoring the parking lot through the large glass windows in the front of the building. They watch for clients parking in handicapped spots, lingering in the parking lot, or any suspicious activity. One time I parked in a handicapped spot (being lazy) and I was immediately reprimanded when I walked inside. They saw me through the glass window and paged the person at the front desk who told me I was not to park in the handicapped spots. I also witnessed staff members quickly approach a female patient who had borrowed another patients lock box and attempted to walk into the clinic and pass it off as her own. The clinic was giving most patients take home doses due to a large snow storm the next day. This person did not have a lock box (which is mandatory for any take home doses) and in a last ditch attempt to avoid driving in the snow storm, attempted to borrow someone else’s. This is the extent of “criminal” activity I have witnessed. The parking lot is well monitored by the staff. No one is permitted to loiter. There have been no accidents that I have witnessed. No one appears impaired inside or outside the clinic. When I first decided to seek help I called and was made a next day appt. I was asked some questions on the phone. How long I had been using, why I wanted to stop, and how the clinic could help me? My intake fee would be $75 and if I was to be dosed that day (which was not promised and was up to the Nurse) it would be an additional $15. A total of $90. On my first day I had an appointment with a counselor. He asked me a lot of questions about my history and was very friendly. He explained all the rules and policies of the clinic. I did a lot of signing and answering questions. After roughly two hours a nurse came in and did an assessment of my physical withdrawal symptoms. She took my vitals and looked at a few other things like my eyes, my arms for goose bumps, and asked me to explain how I was feeling. She put my answers on a scale, and depending on the answer a number corresponded. She then added up the numbers and said I would be started at 20 mg’s today. My counselor took me up to the dosing window and explained the privacy policies. One patient at a time at the window, no cell phones, no drinks etc. When I went to the window I was greeted by the same nurse. She was very friendly and compassionate, as I was not feeling well. She issued me my first dose in a clearly labeled plastic cup which was sealed prior. She removed the lid and handed it to me. She instructed me to fill it with water from the fountain next to the window and swig it quickly afterward, as the taste is horrible, and it was. My face made her laugh. She told me that the nurses will prompt you to speak to them when your finished, checking your not hiding any of the liquid in your mouth. Hence why beverages are not allowed in the line. A partial dose can be spit back into a drink and given to someone else outside the clinic (if your that desperate). She gave me some tips to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawal since they would still be present. 20 mgs is a low dose. My counselor instructed me to call the clinic, the 24 hour emergency line, or visit my local hospital should I experience any adverse symptoms. I was given a list of the signs of an allergic reaction, and the phone numbers. I was told to return the next day at 6 AM to see the clinic Doctor. I was seen immediately. He reviewed my medical history, double checked any meds I was on, and asked me more questions pertaining to my medical history. He then asked for more detail on my drug usage, and my withdrawal symptoms. He again took my vital signs. He told me that I would be given 40 mg today and within two weeks would be stabilized. He wished me luck on my way out and gave me his hours for future reference. I was given 40 mg at the dosing window. I was allowed to increase my dose every two days by 10 mg’s, and with the Nurses recommendation, until I reached a comfortable level or 80 mg where the Doctor had maxed me out. After 80 mg’s I had to see the Doctor again. Luckily I was stabilized at 80 mg. The Nurse’s questioned me every day about my symptoms. They called me by my first name. They always asked me how I was feeling. They did not encourage me to increase my dose constantly. They actually encouraged me to try staying at a lower dose for a few days. It took nearly two weeks before I felt well again. After a month I was completely back to normal. It is $15 per day to dose no matter your dose amount. For the first three months you are drug tested weekly by urine screenings. After that it is once monthly. I have not failed any drug screenings so I do not know what happens when you do! However I do know you can be at risk of discharge for failing drug screenings and also you will never be given take home doses. I just earned my third take home dose. I drive to Concord four out of seven days per week. All patients are mandated to attend certain groups on a regular basis depending on where they are in the program. There are also groups that are not mandatory but are available for support. You must meet with your counselor two times per month at the least, although they are available at anytime for the most part. The clinic has roughly 500 patients. The staff are friendly and helpful. Most of them know you by name. A day in my life on a day I must attend the clinic is as follows: I awake at 4:45 AM to make it to the clinic by 5:30. I run inside, tell the person at the desk my patient number (which they usually already know), and they hand me a card. I get into line if there is one. I go to the dosing window and hand the Nurse my card. We talk quickly about my day or possibly the weather, I dose and I leave. The person at the desk greets me away. I drive off and back home to get ready for work at 8:00 AM. I am not at all impaired by this medication. I am fully tolerant to my dose which has only gone up once to 90 mg in all this time, and I feel no side effects. My work, driving, and life in general has never been impaired by methadone. If I did not tell people I was in treatment I guarantee they would never even have thought! There is nothing about my appearance that suggests I am a “junkie”. For the record, I have never used heroin or a needle. I was addicted to Oxycontin that I purchased off the street. My counselor and I have designed a treatment plan that suggests I begin weaning slowly off methadone after one year of treatment. I will wean by incriments of 1 milligram per week. For the record I have never been in any trouble with the law or had car accidents. I am a law abiding citizen as are many others who attend the clinic with me. The clinic conducts business in a very professional manner and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I support the Laconia Clinic 100% and look forward to not having to drive to Concord four days a week. I know right now it sparks a lot of controversy however I am sure once it is there you won’t even notice it. If people have a place to go to get treated there is less of a chance of them commiting dangerous crimes to support their habits. The cost of methadone is quite low in comparison to a drug habit. I was spending $1,000 per week before I found the clinic. I have always been treated with respect by the staff there. The clinic is very clean and insists that patients maintain a professional appearance and conduct (no coming in with pajama’s). There is absolutely no lingering in the parking lot permitted and I feel that Laconia insisting that a Police Officer be present is not warranted. There is no crime in the parking lot. Our parking lot is shared with three other business’s. I personally feel this is an attempt for Laconia to profit off the clinic, or drive the clinic away because it may cost them too much money and they may not accept the offer. People seeking treatment don’t deserve to be harassed by the Police and I feel that’s what they will be doing there. Thank you for your time and listening to me and for posting this for me
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote