View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #25
sa meredith

Default poor analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
This area has long been known for it's beauty and as being a great spot to either raise children (I did) or at least family vacation here and alot of people depend that to make a living. I have an older sister who has been an addict for going on 30 years now in and out of treatment for just as long and I would give anything for her to get cured, but I see it this way, and I'm only a mile from the proposed clinic...wouldn't putting this clinic , in this area, be like dropping one right next to Disneyland? (would you continue to bring your family there?).....JMO
I don't think this a good analogy, simply because I don't believe that the immediate area surrouding Disney Land has a high, or higher than average amount of documented cases of peope who are addicted to drugs (specifically heroin). Laconia, however, does. And I'm sure,as the clinic is "for profit", it's research tells it that Laconia is a place in need of it's product.
I cannot claim to be any expert on the city of Laconia, but a close friend who grew up there, but moved to Florida 6 or 7 years back, tells me the city is quite diverse. There is the "vacationland Laconia", which most people tend to picture when the name is mentioned, there is "blue collar, work a day Laconia" which makes up most of the town, and there is "lower blue collar" (very similar to Lawrence Mass) less than desirable Laconia. Again, this is second hand information, but it seems accurate to me.
I know if you are at the traffic light facing Fratello's, the difference between what you see if you take a right (toward Busy corner) or left (toward Friendly's) is night and day.
And a while back I was forced into a situation where I needed to become educated about Heroin and Oxycontin addiction, and their cures...mainly methadone, and Suboxone (which is the wealthy man's way of getting clean. Obtained (Suboxone) by getting a RX from a qualified doctor, and filled at any pharmacy). Anyway durng this time, I was amazed at how many poeple spoke of the amounts and the quality of heroin available in Laconia and the immediate surrounding areas.
Again, this is not my hometown, and I am no expert....but I believe the heroin/oxy problem in Laconia is very real...and growing.
Just my thought....I could be wrong.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote