View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Nadia

Post Should have clarified

To clarify the Methadone Clinic was proposed by a Florida based company known as Colonial Management. They operate clinics nationwide, six I believe in New Hampshire. They already have one located in the states capital, Concord Metro Treatment Center, as well as Manchester, Swanzey and Lebanon. A representative for the clinic stated that Laconia is in need of the clinic to address it's growing drug problem. Approximately 200 Laconia Residents travel to Concord daily for treatment. As you can guess, many opposed, including law enforcement.

The issue was left to be decided by City Planner Shanna Saunders, and because of the size of the clinic (less than 5,000 sq. feet) Shanna could make the decision on her own, it did not have to go in front of the Planning Board. She permitted the clinic to operate in the former O'Toole building, in O'Shea Industrial Park, with two stipulations. First, the clinic would have to have a 24 hour video camera surveillance system, and second, a law officer would have to be present during business hours, which would cost Colonial Management approximately $2,000 a week. Representatives from Colonial Management stated they would not comment until sometime next week.

The proposed clinic will dispense the drug methadone in liquid form to patients daily on an out-patient basis. Although a for-profit clinic they do provide mandatory counseling services for each patient, along with therapeutic groups, and many supportive activites for patients in treatment. Still not sure what to think myself, that's why I was wondering what everyone else thought.

What kinds of activity about the clinic in Boston is bothersome to you? I would like to know myself as being a Laconia resident, this would effect me as well.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote