View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Skip

Default Positive identification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I have never had my drivers license with me on the water. Just my certificate and registration. I guess they will have to arrest me.
As I have posted before, there are a number of ways ellectronically that an officer can confirm your identity in the field even if you have not a stitch of ID on your person. You would be amazed at the technology and records that are now instantly available to the law enforcement community, courtesy of vast federal funding since 9/11.

Your conduct will determine the depth and breadth of your contact with the officer. As has been pointed out before, depending on the situation a quick certification glimpse may be all that he needs or desires. But a more serious matter, especially one that will result in a summons, will require the officer to absolutely establish your identity. Once your identity is positively established your motor vehicle record and license information is automatically retrieved, even if you have no license on your person.

And in the event of a conviction the system will basically automatically forward the appropriate information to NHDMV.

My best and final advice? Be polite and courteous. File your complaint, if you so desire, to the appropriate supervisor after the stop. And remeber, the trial is held later in a courtroom, where cooler heads prevail, not out on the water. If you are receiving a summons then that"judge" has already determined your guilt. Save your ammunition and argument for a more appropriate venue, one where you stand a chance of prevailing!