View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStratton View Post
Hi WinniPeople!

This forum is a great resource and I'm happy to be able to participate here. Thx!

We are looking at getting a small cottage above a lake. It is a pier and beam construction (floor beams on poured cement piers) with wooden slats protecting the crawl space from entry by larger critters, but not affording much other protection.

We're thinking to winterize the thing, which is moderately insane, I know.

It appears the floor joists are closed in above the dirt below the cottage with some sort of particle board, and they seem to be holding up pretty well (the particle boards). Reportedly, there is no insulation between the joists. Obviously, I'll confirm that. I'm thinking about drilling from the cottage floor and filling the joist cavities with open cell foam, then vapor sealing from the floor above (will put in new new flooring) to keep the warm moist air from traveling to into the foam below and then condensing on the cold particle board at the bottom. I might also cover the dirt floor w/ 6 or 10 mil poly to reduce summer moisture.

I hope someone might be able to point me in the direction of large quantities of open cell spray foam components, either spray or poured liquid. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Two things to think about.

Particle board is nasty stuff, if it gets wet is swells and if it stays wet attracts and holds mold. I'd get rid of that stuff. I'd also be real curious what it looks like under that particle board, what could be hidden out of sight?

Spray foam attracts ants so I'd avoid using it in mass quantity especially in a seasonal application. Plenty of info on the web about it. While some claim that there are variants that are supposedly treated I don't buy that for a minute. Once they get into that stuff it's very difficult to eradicate them.

Whatever you decide to do make sure any area that is insulated is sealed up good and tight or the critters will get into it.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote