View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #77
Rinkerfam

I for one do not feel the least bit "safer" since the speed limit has taken hold. Hazelnut hit it right on the head. The lake is overrun with captain b-heads. I have been boating on Winnipesaukee for some 25 years ( all of them piloting family runabouts that are far from GFBL's). I have never been in an uncomfortable situation that derived from a boat traveling at a high rate of speed. All of my safety concerns involve other vessels coming too close to me and or not understanding who has the right of way in a given situation. Every time out so far this season I have had to slow down or alter course all the while being the stand on vessel. This is so frustrating. I have even witnessed boats passing between myself and Marine Patrol at a distance far less than 150' from both myself and the MP boat (and yes I dropped to idle speed). As far as Sunset On The Dock's perception of the lake being a kinder gentler place this year, I think the weather and the economy have far more to do with it than any speed limit.