View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #52
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default My experience

Yes storms can creep up very quickly and unacceptably. Can you imagine being on the Broads in a 20' and the waves actually washes over the windshield? How about a torrential rainstorm with visibility at 0 and the bilge pump could not keep up with the flood! Been there and done that.

Follow by countless rescue operations on The Broads when boat engines were flooded or stalled and could not start! Life on the lake is an adventure.

Yes, most landowners will allow you to tie up to weather a storm. Be aware a dock may not hold your boat so as an extra precaution you may want to drop anchor(s) around the boat for more security. Just use your common sense.

Only one landowner denied permission for storm docking. So it is rare.

Town docks are a different story. Regardless of the storm, LEOs must adhere to local ordinances regarding usage. Even during a storm!

Imagine tying up at the Weirs public docks after hours in a thunderstorm, and the police wants you to leave immediately! Even the MP was docked next to you to weather the storm! That happened to me and luckily there was an empty slip over at Irwins Pier and I use it until the storm passed.

Another case was Gilford Town docks. A thick fog rolled in the middle of the night and no GPS or radar. So I tied up only to be told by the police I can't stay there. So I went to Fay's and found an empty slip.

I tried to pass state legislature to assure emergency storm dockage at public docks in NH. It was inexpedient to legislate as the state do not want to overstep local authorities.

Just want to let you know of my experience on the lake. Because of smartphones and local NOAA radar, I have been able to avoid the storms.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 07-15-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote