View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Free stuff

I think it may help to get a free opinion from a non-oil dealer.
1. Most fire depts have somebody who will do an inspection, at least for safety, but they are used to tracking down airflow in strange places. Some will have infrared cameras to highlight leaks. Equipment oil companies don't usually have.
2. Disaster cleaning companies e.g. Service Master or ServPro, do clean up after fires, floods, furnace puff-back, etc. They often deal with insurance companies. Your homeowners insurance won't pay for furnace/boiler maintenance, but if there is smoke/fumes absorbed into curtains, carpets, upholstery, etc. they may pay for cleaning. Usually the criteria is "sudden and accidental". Gradual damage from omitted maintenance is on you, but this sounds like a new phenomenon. (How many winters have you been in the house?) The estimator from the cleaning company will know. They usually will come out and make proposals for free. As suggested above, if this has been going on for a while, getting the smell out may be more than just fixing the boiler.

Seems to me you had some roofing work done last fall. I tie that to the suggestion above about a wet chimney and chimney or air leaks. If this is a 1929 chimney, I'd guess it is not lined and hasn't been repointed for awhile. The FD will likely look at that too. (I had a new roof last fall, and they missed some seal around the chimney. Leaks into the interior ceiling were fixed by the GC. Point is, it does happen.)
This is an interesting thread. I feel bad for your problems, but thanks for sharing.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote