View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #68
Fink2

A scenario...just gassed waverunner at Andrews. Exit marina area into no wake zone at idle, no hand on throttle. Dash says 0 to 1 MPH. No boats around, I am on left side of the wide area coming towards marker. A boat is coming in now at wake speed, slow at maybe 3 MPH. They are on a line giving get the marker a wide berth of maybe 20 to 25 ft. I have a choose to speed up a bit, cut a 90 degree across their path or stay on my bearing and be ready to drift closer to shore. No danger in either at these speeds. I used my judgement to do the latter. Boater gets a beam and asked me "are you a new boater?" I say no, been on the lake my whole life. Gives me dirty look. I know the rules. I also know judgement plays a key role in safety. My judgment was that cutting across their heading was to create a potential for risk. Am I right or wrong in exercising that judgement? Having both a boat and a waverunner, I'm all to familiar with poor boating exhibits on this Lake. Waverunners are often treated as a target by some. I've learned to stay well clear. I will take my lumps here if wrong and adjust appropriately. Thx.