View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #52
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We stopped in yesterday (Sunday May 1) for lunch at 12:15. The place was nearly empty. First thing we noticed after that was the loud music. The carpet was gone, replaced by what looked like laminate flooring. Laminate always seems to echo more than real wood, and that may have contributed to the noise level. It was carpeted before. We sat by the window in the old bar section. Our waitress brought menus and water but did not ask if we wanted drinks. We asked if the music could be turned down. "I don't know " was the response, and she left. Nothing happened and we didn't see her again. We reviewed the menu which was unappealing and we left.
The music thing is problem in a lot of places...to the point that it can ruin what would otherwise be a wonderful experience. It's puzzling why so many restaurants/bars/other venues feel the need to jack up the volume to a point where it's hard to have a conversation across a table. I suppose someone will say that it's what the majority of customers want. But do they, really?

Live entertainment is different as I feel that's the experience the venue is purposefully creating. But in most cases, I feel, people want to enjoy a comfortable conversation with the company they're with. That's often hard to do and it doesn't get any easier for many as they age.

Am I out of touch? Maybe I should get with the program and simply text my pals on the other side of the table.

When we walk into a restaurant and it's clear the music is too loud, we'll ask if there's a quieter section. If there isn't, then we're outta there.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote